Thursday 31 December 2015

INSPIRED TODAY

It's been four months now since I last posted on this column. And I must say that I'm deeply sorry for that long break. However, I  learnt a lot of things during that period which I'm so eager to share with you. I got 3 jobs just at the close of August, which was quite sudden. One was a 9–5, and the other two were part time engagements I could handle from home. However, they still came with the series of  deadlines I had to meet. It was a much needed  challenge, because I used to consider myself a multi tasking guru. I realised otherwise these past few months.

The good thing is I've learned from it and I'm glad to share what I've learnt on this platform. This revelation is simple. I discovered that when you have multiple tasks to accomplish, especially when some of them are compulsory and uninteresting, the best way to go about them is to break them into segments and work on them at intervals. For example, if you have multiple books to read within a given time, what you need to do is divided those books into chapters. When you read one or two chapters of one book, switch to the next and read one or two chapters and then to the next book. That way you can go marathon and finish your task in time, instead of trying to finish one book before moving to the next. The disadvantage with that method is that staying on a particular task, especially an uninteresting task for longer periods reduces your efficiency in the long run. By the time you finish reading the first book, you are most likely too bored or tired to move on to the next. However, if you play that little trick on your mind, you get more things done. What's the trick? It's simple. It's telling your mind that you're starting a new task which increases the excitement a little bit. When the excitement dwindles, you move to the next –as though you're starting a new task.

However, it is important that you know yourself and understand what works for you. There's a popular saying, that yourself is your biggest enemy. That is, the only force standing in your way of achieving success is yourself. There's another saying, by the ancient Chinese: know thy enemy. Now if 'self ' stands a chance of being your enemy then you need to know yourself. When you know yourself well enough, self ceases to be an enemy. The menace it imposes on you becomes greatly reduced. In warfare, Enemy Intel is a vital part to the success of any campaign. And when you know everything about your enemy, it's strategies and Modus operandi, your success is 80% guaranteed. In essence, pay attention to yourself.

2016 is a new year, and we're all going into it with great hopes and aspirations. We see new year resolutions here and there because everyone wants to become a better person. But when the going gets tough, the people who will keep on standing with their decisions are those who made a resolution to be consistent, in and out of time. In consistency lies the key. For me I've accepted that I can't blog three times a week because of my other engagements, so I've decided to blog weekly on Thursday.

As we enter into a new year I can only pray that your dreams come true, and that your days be longer than 2016. I am Adeayo Adekunle and from me, it's happy new year!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment